Tuesday 26 October 2010

Negatives




After attending a "Camereless Work Shop" with Cherry Kino @ ESA Patrick Studios http://www.cherrykino.blogspot.com/ I was really inspired by the process of manipulating film in unconventional ways such as leaving film in water, burying, exposing film with random objects on top (sugar, salt, lace etc). The cameras and cine film lend themselves to a real nostalgic feel and made me reflect on the past and times gone by. I dug out some old negatives on reels which I have started to work with. Unfortunately the medium is not as sensitive as cine film and is very difficult to manipulated with organic matter. Using stencils I scratched text into the reverse side of the negatives and used some crushed lime stone to soften the appearance (like sandpaper!) I think the result works well and conveys an aged and worn appearance. Slicing the negatives into strips and creating a 3D design produces some beautiful patterns when lit. Also machine stitched text onto negatives but not sure where I will be taking it all, if anywhere! 

No comments:

Post a Comment