Monday 8 November 2010

Work In Progress


















I have been experimenting with the negatives a little more and taking my ideas forward. The sewing machine seems to be playing a big part in my work at the moment. Memories of hearing the sewing machine being used within the house as a child and wearing the clothes made from it set strong in my mind and is influencing my work.

Playing with light, beautiful shadows are created from the  "empty" stitching pattern sewn into the negatives.
















Using a pestle and mortar I ground down pieces of Limestone into a fine powder and using the pierced negatives as a stencil created delicate trace patterns of the Limestone particles. While doing this process a pungent oily smell radiated from the substance which only seems apparent while being ground down. This would make sense as oil after all is made up of plant and animal forms from the sea bed!


















I noticed how my fingerprints were left imprinted while working with the negatives, I thought of  how  fingerprints are a remnant of an individuals presence and using the limestone dust highlighted them in a forensic way.

No comments:

Post a Comment